I have a confession… I’m obsessed with green smoothies!
Smoothies are a fun (ok, maybe just to me!) and stress free start to the day, as they’re super quick and easy to make – and their portability means you can take them wherever you go.
Many green smoothie recipes are perfect as snacks, however if you want a more sustaining meal, they tend to fall short as they lack adequate protein and fat to keep you satisfied until your next meal, especially when you’re under stress.
After years of experimenting, I’ve created the ultimate green smoothie formula that’ll make you feel energised and supported to power through your mornings.
This green smoothie formula ensures you get enough protein and fat to keep you feeling full, and also helps to stabilise blood sugar levels so you can say goodbye to mid-morning energy slumps!
The nutrient density and antioxidant content in these smoothies are also wonderful for combating stress and inflammation in the body.
If you’re ‘green’ to smoothies and you’re experiencing low energy in the mornings, I challenge you to have a green smoothie every morning for 7 days and experience the difference in your energy levels.
There are so many variations to create, your green smoothie routine will never be boring!
So without further ado, let me introduce…
The Ultimate Green Smoothie Formula
- Choose 1 or more servings of dark green vegetables: chard, spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage, parsley, coriander (about a handful of any leafy veg), cucumber (1/2 medium) or celery (1 stick)
- One serving of fresh fruit: banana, pear, kiwi, apple or berries
- 20g nuts or seeds: flax, hemp, chia, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts or Brazil nuts (optional)
- 1-2tsp of a nutritional powder: Spirulina, chlorella, food state superfood supplements (e.g. dried Baobob, Acai, Moringa and Pomegranate powders)*
- Protein powder: one serve of organic raw whey, pea or hemp protein*
- 300ml filtered / pure water or coconut water (you may need more depending on the ingredients chosen, so add to your desired thickness)
- Healthy, satiating fats: 1/4 avocado or 1 tbsp of coconut, hemp or flax oil
*Get 10% off the RRP of all nutritional and protein powders at www.naturaldispensary.co.uk by quoting the code MEL010 at the checkout. Look for Naturya and Minvita brands for nutritional powders and Pulsin’ for protein powders.
Simply place all ingredients into a smoothie machine (I love my Nutri Bullet) and blend until smooth (about 10 seconds). Drink straight away or chill and drink later (they’re best drunk fresh to get the most nutrition).
Follow these general principles and you’ll be a green smoothie aficionado like me in no time!
Start with the basics and when you’re feeling more confident, try these additions to add a new flavour dimension:
- 1/2 lemon or lime or 1/4 grapefruit (if you’re taking medication, check with your GP whether you can have grapefruit) or orange with the rind on (must be organic, unwaxed produce)
- Fresh mint leaves
- Dried organi goji berries
- 1tsp turmeric powder
If you’re experiencing stress and fatigue, add in 1tsp of adaptogenic herbs Maca or Ashwaghanda powder – these powerful herbs help support your response to stress and give you stamina and endurance to get through your days.
Here are some of my favourite recipes to get you started.
Stress Free Smoothie
- 300ml water or coconut water
- 1/2 cucumber
- A large handful of spinach
- 1 punnet of blueberries (organic)
- 20g pumpkin seeds
- 1tsp Chlorella
- 1 scoop of hemp protein powder
- 1/2 an Avocado
Directions: Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
Extra tip: this smoothie is delicious with a few fresh mint leaves and 1/2 lemon for an extra flavour burst!
Green Smoothie Goddess
- 300ml coconut water
- 4 leaves of kale
- 1 big handful of spinach
- 1/2 frozen or fresh banana
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh berries (organic)
- 20g sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- 1tsp spirulina
- 1 serve protein powder
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
Directions: blend all ingredients and enjoy! This recipe is lovely with avocado instead of coconut oil too.
Chill Pill Smoothie
- 300ml water or coconut water
- 1 apple
- 1/2 cucumber
- A handful of spinach
- A few sprigs of mint
- 6 walnuts
- 1tbsp of chia seeds
- 1tsp chlorella
- 1 serve of protein powder
- 1tbsp of coconut or flax oil
Directions: Blend and enjoy! For a more filling smoothie, add in half an avocado.
I’d love to hear about your green smoothie formula adventures, so if you create anything amazing, let me know!
And if you decide to take on the 7 day green smoothie challenge, post your experience in the comments below!
Melissa is a naturopathic nutritionist, coach and speaker who helps exhausted businesswomen reclaim their energy to maximise their effectiveness and success in business and life.
Her unique approach combines naturopathy, nutrition, positive psychology and lifestyle strategies to nourish and energise women from cell to soul.